Skip to Main Content

Communication Sciences and Disorders Information Resources

This research guide includes some of the resources available for the School of Communication Sciences and Disorders.

Primal Pictures


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Who can request to purchase a film license?

The library will only purchase a film license at the request of a faculty member or an instructor of a course. Due to budget constraints the library cannot accommodate student requests at this time and any student purchase requests will be denied. If you are a student requesting a film license because viewing is required for a course you're taking, please contact your instructor and ask that they submit a Kanopy request on behalf of your class.  

Can I show a film at an extracurricular event, outside of the classroom?

Though, as an instructor, you can show any Kanopy film as part of a course, not every film can be shown at a public extracurricular event. If you are interested in showing a film outside of the classroom, your film needs a specific Public Performance Rights license. To learn more about PPR and Kanopy read further on this page.  

What do I do if I want to assign a film for next semester?

Submit your request. The earlier the better so that we can budget for it. We will try to accommodate your requests as best as we can. We recommend submitting requests at least 3-5 days in advance of when it's needed, to allow us time to process the request.

What can I request from Kanopy?

The University Libraries will only lease films for course use. We will not lease films for recreational or general viewing. Our limited budget only allows us to support academic use of streaming video. You are welcome to view any already licensed content but requests for personal use will not be approved. 

How do I request a license for a new Kanopy film?

If you click on a film title in Kanopy and see the Kanopy request form, it means we don’t currently have access. Complete this form and it will be sent to a University of Memphis librarian for processing. Please make your request at least 3 -5 working days before you need the film and include the following information to the extent possible:

  • Course name and number for which you will use the film 
  • Date needed

What happens after I make the request? How long will it take to get the film? 

The request is forwarded to Electronic Resources Management team, who will determine if the title is available in any other collection before approving in Kanopy. It takes at least 1-2 working days for the order to be processed in the Library and another day for it to be made available by Kanopy. Thus, we recommend submitting requests at least 3-5 days in advance of your need so we can make sure that you have access in time. Requests made over the weekend or after hours will be processed the next working day. Once the film is available, a librarian will email you a link to your film. 

More questions?

Please contact the Electronic Resources Department (, Electronic Resources Librarian, if you have any questions or problems using the site.


NOTE: Kanopy overview and FAQ text adapted with permission from Kutztown University.